Thursday, October 22, 2009

Respect fo' Calibos _update:10.22.09

So I'm calling it.  Calibos is sloppy.  REDO!  And if there's one successful tip I've learned from creating art is "don't settle on shit".  If you draw a really cool hand and you accidentally put the thumb on the wrong side, you have to erase the whole thing and draw a new hand.  No buts about it.

And I'm not getting down on myself for sonic failure because fuck that, I tried, I got pretty close.  It's a new recording format for me.  I recorded the acoustic guitar first, hand percussion, main vocals, bass, backing vocals, rerecorded the main vocals, rerecorded the bass, added digital drums played live over the track, and a third backing vocal.  Mike added 1 track of extra vocals, but everything else was me.  So I can take most of the credit for ugly shit.  So, it's sloppy... it's an experiment!  And from an experiment POV, we're doing pretty good.  Our goal is to record a song clean whenever right?  Write some lyrics, make a loop, add instruments, burn it.

So next version of Calibos Blues is going to be played to a homemade loop.  Preferably one sampled from Clash of the Titans.  Guitar will be cut up into loops as well.  Don I'll need your help doing this. 

Tomorrow if we're meeting, we need to identify the clonan bass issues, rerecord them, then get started on calibos.  Actually I need to dive into the junkems song so I can get started storyboarding that.  We want to get it out by new years on our bum site which is not yet created.

I learned a lot from the sound producer I met with yesterday.  He showed me a better way to set the song templates up.  Going forward we will be recording IN logic.  No more garageband.  One or two files per song.  Everything...in it's riiiiiight place.

Busing is the way to go.  He said a typical song for him would hold about 60 tracks.  Right now the most tracks I have in a song are 15 tops.  He doubles and triples up certain instruments, buses all the stuff like drums over to one manipulatable channel so he can apply one or a belt of effects to a group of instruments.  Pan instruments just a touch off center to the left and right to separate them, cut the frequencies off instruments that aren't really important to make room for instruments that really need to occupy that sonic space.  Figured out how a compressor really works.  Thing is he wasn't familiar with Logic as an application.  Obviously he knew a lot about recording, effects, layout, frequencies but I was very interested in how to do very specific things in Logic.

Anyways.  That's the news bitches.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to contribute some guitar to calibos goat hoof, if i could.

    also, you might try opening a music track in quicktime, save it as a .mov, then try posting it here, like you would a pic?

    donno... try it.

    i like the new hardstuff update format.

    ReplyDelete