Thursday, March 4, 2010

Nolte gets a facelift and Louda gets louder...open discussion on album tracks

Baby Nolte
• bass is fixed/done
• lyrics finalized and printed/done
• ready for final vocal additions

Louda
• bass recorded/done
• need to go over song lyrics with Shay
• Ready for backing vocals

Heavy Horizon
• On hold.  Not sure if it will make the album

Stringfellow Hawk
• On hold.  Not sure if it will make the album

And since no one else will bring it to our attention, I'm addressing it here.  Someone feels that he should be a part of every song on the album or the song shouldn't be on the record.

So we're hitting a small creative wall here.  And the three of us need to hash out whats actually going to be the done album.  And we all of course have a say in that.   The way I see it, Adrock isn't on every Beastie song.  The albums I like most usually are a work of collaboration which extends beyond the core members of the band.  And in producing the album and putting so much fucking time into this and heavily considering my genuine interest in making everybody's performances shine, I ask myself:
  "Would I fuss so much if I wasn't playing an instrument or represented on every track on an album in which someone cared enough to involve me so much in with such minimal effort or practice on my part?"
My answer to myself…no.  Sorry to bring this to a head, but you know what, I'm tired of being under appreciated and talked down to when I'm stretching so far to make someone shine, especially in this time in my life.  Lets not get so selfish right when this thing is wrapping up.  Everybody had put their time into this project and we're getting close to the end.  There's been many pats on my back from everybody involved so don't think I need that.  I just need someone to see the true reality of giving versus getting.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you greg. Personally, I dont think that I should have to be on every song, so neither should anyone else. but, if i want to be on a song, you know that i go out of my way to include myself... fo axample, i wanted to be on holmes tonight, calibo blues and mindbender, so i stuck myself on it... though if it went to print and you didnt include my performances, i would be disappointed but not seriously.

    But if a song was published on a record we worked on together and i wasnt on it, i would give a fuck. (that is to say, i would support your efforts to express yourself any way you feel, cause you fucking deserve to!!!)

    (stop being a whinny bitch a grow up you selfish sissy, whoever you are!) not being on a song is the stupidest excuse not to publish it... it sounds to me like youre "holding a brutha back" as a douchbag once said.

    that being said, however, i have been thinking, maybe it would be nice to keep this album short and to the point... not that i agree with this persons demands that he or she be on every song, but because thematically, it might work better and allow enough material left over to publish a second record on our/your own terms, excluding any selfish inconsiderate parties.

    those tracks being in alphabetical order... (and not in definite terms of song title neither)

    All Hail The Hulk
    Chewie Got Shotgun
    Clonan
    Lobot: Master of the Ugnauts
    Mo Nore Nilk Mow
    Polyester Pirate
    Prepare to Scream
    RFBG
    smokin' California
    Still In Maxamillian
    Zartan: Master of Disguise

    this leaves some dozen or so other tracks to concentrate on at a later time. including...

    Automatauntaun
    Baby Nolte
    CalibosBlues
    Dr. MiNdBeNDer
    HeavyHorizon
    sexyfly
    SK84LIF
    StringfellowHawk
    Who Gonna Be Ur Holmes

    plus

    Louda
    Mekanek
    2 face mofo
    I pity the foo'

    and what ever you and don have in store for us.

    though, if you feel you have a tune that you really want to publish this time around, i say do it!

    I feel like i carried this band as far as i could and you picked up the mantle and took it that much farther. I owe everything to you, greg and so does every one else who has been involved in this process. If they can't appreciate that, then maybe they should start their own band and be on every song there.

    ReplyDelete