Monday, November 16, 2009

Hardstuff Update 11.16.09:

Mike, Don and I have been busy in the studio recording.  It's funny how different the vibe is in there these days.  Lots of headphone wearing, vocal stumbling and cable fiddling.  But the cool thing is, week by week it's getting closer to plug and play.

Where do I start?  Well, like I said I'm still trying to get our original set plus some other "like tunes" done by the end of the year which still really seems feasible.  Last three that really need some work are Smoke In California, RFBG and The Pirate Song.  Unless a miracle happens I don't think Mekanek's gonna make it in unless I get that file to Shay and he somehow finds the time to redo the guitar.

Setlist as it stands:
Prepare To Scream
Lobot
Chewie Got Shotgun
Zartan
Smoke in California
The Pirate song
Mo Nore Nilk Mow
Still in Maxamillian
The Hulk
Clonan
Real Fat Bald Guy
(and add these in for filler)
louda
sexy fly
Heavy Horizon
Baby Nolte
2 Face Mofo
Calibos blues
stringfellow Hawk

Album2
Dr. Mindbender
ManKid
Black Splatters
Get to Know Me
wasted devil
Blow The Earth Apart



So The Pirate Song, formerly known as Polyester Pirate now has vocals but they are not quite done yet.  Looks like Mike may have won vocal custody on this one.  We've got to pop in the Yo Ho Ho's.  Mike went home with a bass, my old Acoustic amp, a couple cables, and the sound me me nagging at him about not blowing my speaker.  So Mike, next up for bass is Polyester Pirate, smoke in Cali and RFBG.  Any one of those.

Baby Nolte got some love.  Don took it home and added some bass to it. Last night I added more bass to it.  It's fun to take one of these "old" recordings and get back into it.  Don also added a horribly frightening vocal track which will probably make you either laugh your penises off or cause you to willingly stuff sandpaper earplugs into your eustachian canals with sharpened pencils.  What I'm saying is it's really fucking bad but one of the funniest things I've heard.  Gotta love the vocal transformer.  As soon as I even out the bass and rerecord it a gazzilion times I'll send a copy.  It's the end where Shay is going bananas between 2 or 3 chords that's proving to be difficult to sync to.  Also started working on the keys and additional lyrics last night so hopefully it'll make it into the album.  We're hoping to shorten it but sometimes that's harder than it sounds.

Don and I touched on Mankid last night.  He did a spoken word Mankid.  I'll be sending it out soon.

So here's what I need help with in no particular order:
• Additional instrumentation on "Hardstuff playhouse"
• additional lyrics for Baby Nolte
• new lyrics for Heavy Horizon?
• look on Craigslist for someone who masters albums on the cheap in Logic Pro

Also, I'm going to start putting a CD jacket together so I will need some photos of you knuckle heads and whatever high res art you guys have.  Shay, can you set up a folder in your FTP so I can get the album semi-organized in there?  I'd love to be able to post songs and art there and have everybody grab them.  If not, Peter, you said you're the "King of server space".  How hard would it be to start a folder in a spot we could all access?
Peter came by for a visit this last week.  We didn't really make time to get his drums out of storage or tune mine but we jammed a couple reggae tunes for our band Speedo Crisis in the studio.  Look for us in Itunes hot 10 list.

That's it for now.  Let me know what's up.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cool G. i am curious as to Baby nolte's current incarnation. if the end is hard to sync... maybe just drop out instuments to leave vocals, guitar and/or drums? i also am interested in the latest incarnation of Dr. Mindbender? i heard something really cool off dons mix, last i was in Berkeley. i would like to posibly contribute a guitar riff in there somewhere? maybe? as for atomataun-taun, i gotta break it up into loops, and shove my lyrics in. you guys have to make do without me on Heavy Horizon, though i hope you might keep some of my vocals, please. i can try some simple acompany guitar on hardstuff playhouse? donno. will have to see if tuning is an issue or not.

    i cant wait for Speedo Crisis. great band name, btw.

    i can set up an ftp tonight and email ya'll. actually, i already have a folder set up with lots of hardstuff backup on it, so i can just create an access account for everyone. then i can listen to all yo newest shit!

    s

    ReplyDelete